News just in from Israel. The Geffen Award winners for 2008 are as follows:
- Best Translated SF Book: I Am Legend, Richard Matheson (Translator: Yael Inbar; Publisher: Yanshuf Publishing)
- Best Translated Fantasy Book: The Wee Free Men, Terry Pratchett (Translator: Jonathan Bar; Publisher: East of Eden)
- Best Translated SF or Fantasy YA Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, J. K. Rowling (Translator: Gili Bar-Hillel Semo; Publisher: Yediot Acharonoth Books)
- Best Original SF or Fantasy Story: “Bamakom Bo Meabdim Sfarim” (“Where Books are Lost”), Lili Daie (Bli Panika web magazine)
- Best Original SF or Fantasy Book: Hagar Yanai (The Water Between the Worlds) (Publisher: Keter Books)
- Best Translation: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, J. K. Rowling (Translator: Gili Bar-Hillel Semo; Publisher: Yediot Acharonoth Books)
Our thanks to Ehud Maimon for the information.
Update: Corrections made as per Gili’s and Lili’s comments below, and in private email.