At Capclave yesterday the Washington Science Fiction Association announced the 2008 winner of their award for short fiction published by a small press. The winner is “The Wizard of Macatawa” by Tom Doyle, published in issue 11 of Paradox magazine, publisher and editor Christopher M. Cevasco. “The Wizard of Macatawa” tells the story of how the life of a young girl intersects with that of L. Frank Baum.
Honorable mentions were given to the following stories:
- “Bufo Rex” by Erik Amundsen, published in issue 347 of Weird Tales; publisher John Gregory Betancourt, fiction editor Ann VanderMeer
- “Orm the Beautiful” by Elizabeth Bear, published in the January 2007 issue of Clarkesworld Magazine; publisher and editor Neil Clarke; senior editor Sean Wallace
- “Harry the Crow” by John Kratman, published in issue 12 of Aeon Speculative Fiction; editors Marti McKenna and Bridget McKenna
- “Mask of the Ferret” by Ken Pick and Alan Loewen, published in the Infinite Space, Infinite God anthology by Twilight Times Books; publisher Lida E. Quillen, Editors Karina Fabian and Robert Fabian
- “The Third Bear” by Jeff VanderMeer, published in the April 2007 issue of Clarkesworld Magazine; publisher and editor Neil Clarke; senior editor Sean Wallace